Wednesday, January 3, 2018

A new American Girl doll.


Here is my first boy doll from American Girl.
I succumbed and purchased him last month.
I came up with an idea for a story involving my paternal Grandfather, Jack Williams. This is Logan Everett, but I've re-named him Jack. I plan to portray him in adventures in North Wales at a young age. Hopefully I will learn how to create movies and I will put it on YouTube. 


I got him 20% off on an Indigo sale, so I didn't get to pick him out personally, as he arrived in store. It's really convenient to pick up your mailed item in the store, as you get an email when it arrives! There's a separate kiosk for online pickup so you don't have to wait in a long line.


At first I wasn't going to buy a boy doll, but when I visited Blaenau Ffestiniog in May 2017 I felt like I could write my Grandfather's story. He was orphaned at age 11, and had to work on a farm taking care of horses, while his younger brothers were lodgers at a different house. At age 23 he immigrated to Canada; the only one of his family to do so. His young life intrigues me. My goal for 2018 is to imagine what his life was like as a young boy, and write it, then turn it into my first doll movie! Stay tuned.

By Loretta Houben

2 comments:

Angela said...

I look forward to the story of your grandfather, Jack. How fascinating! Both of my parents immigrated to Canada from Germany as young adults; they met in evening school learning English, fell in love, got married, and then moved to the USA. I love hearing the stories of the people that came before me. I haven't felt the desire to own a boy doll--YET--but it may happen eventually!

Loretta said...

That's interesting your parents are from Germany. My inlaws met at a square dance in Netherlands, fell in love there, got married there in 1950, then moved here in 1953, to Canada. My MIL was 7 years older than my FIL which I always found fascinating. Stay tuned for the story...