Friday, November 3, 2017

Newberry 18" dolls.


You may have heard the awful news that Sears Canada is closing all of its stores. The closest one to us is in Burnaby BC. It was opened in 1954, and my family has shopped there ever since my parents married in 1955. I remember going there each Saturday at 9:30 am, after a big pancake breakfast. 


As a young married couple in 1982, we bought all our furniture there, including our wooden bedroom set made in Canada which we still have. I'm heartbroken.
Sears produced the Newberry 18" doll for a few years.
I'm not sure what has become of this brand now. Apparently they stopped selling them in Fall 2016, but I took these photos at a great 60% off sale on January 21, 2017.
If I'd known Sears was disappearing I would have bought more of them. I did buy two.


I'm glad I took these photos anyhow. I really like the Newberry dolls. I believe I have 3 of them.


Here is a LINK to information I found out about the Newberry dolls today.


This is the doll I bought in January.
She came in a soccer outfit.


I dressed her in a pretty outfit instead. I love her brown eyes. I'll have to give more attention to my Newberry girls, and give them names. 
It's a very sad day when stores that have been here for over 60 years disappear.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: