Monday, May 16, 2016

The 1860's...


Long ago, in the 1970's, my sister received a marvelous covered wagon and horse with a matching set of dolls, one male and one female, for a Christmas gift. She was thrilled. So was I.
We often played and acted out adventures for these dolls, using the male which we named Tom as a boyfriend for Polly, my Skipper doll. 


I took these photos back in 2001.
I loved playing with my Skipper, and I would often sew outfits for her.
The above dress was bought from the New Westminster Farmer's Market, made by an elderly woman who had the most amazing table full of gorgeous handmade Barbie clothes. She would certainly do well on Etsy nowadays! The dress above was only $1.25! Every August my parents would go once to the Farmer's Market. They would buy fresh produce and farmer's sausage.


I made this dress and crocheted the trim. I sewed it all by hand and designed the pattern. I also made Polly's little bonnet.


Oh the fun we used to have!
I'm so glad we didn't have electronic gadgets to ruin our imaginations.
I have so many happy memories of my childhood and teenage years.

By Loretta Houben

No comments: